ESTONIAN KNITTING 1.TRADITIONS AND TECHNIQUES
For centuries, every girl and woman living in the small territory of Estonia on the shores of the Baltic Sea has known how to knit.
Museum collections have preserved thousands of wonderful mittens, gloves, socks, stockings, caps, jumpers, cardigans and more. Many of these items were made for more than just keeping warm, their functions were also to protect and adorn the wearer as well as to showcase the maker’s care and skill.
Estonian knitting is worthy of exploring in every respect, whether it be choosing the appropriate palette or pattern, or using authentic techniques.
Learn to knit the Estonian way!
• History of Estonian knitting
• Overview of types of garments knitted in the 18th and 19th centuries
• Suitable yarns and needles
• Introduction to the Estonian knitwear colour palette
• Estonian techniques with clear instructions and illustrations
• 212 stitch patterns from Estonian knitwear